Sunday, August 31, 2008

Blogs, Blogs, and More Blogs

As I began my journey of taming the money-stealing shrew, I discovered a lot of great blogs and websites related to money management. I wish I could have had all the information at my finger tips THEN, that I have NOW. I particularly like The Passive Dad and Not Made of Money.

Something that I am going to start doing immediately is cook at home more frequently. I know, I know, I know; eating out is expensive! I eat out at least one or two times per week, but what I'm really talking about here is cooking REAL food instead of making the frozen dinners. I eat frozen dinners almost every night. At three or four dollars per dinner, this is about $20.00 per week. Although cheaper than eating at a restaurant, I could save even more money by cooking items that are more "from scratch." I found a wonderful article at The Simple Dollar that breaks the myth (that I BELIEVED) that the dollar menus found and many fast food joints are cheaper than cooking at home. I also found a great article at Get Rich Slowly about how to cook healthful meals on a tight budget.

So, beginning this week, I will stop with the frozen dinners and start cooking. I'm going to make a shopping list and post my actual savings at the end of the week. What sort of frugal recipes do you use? How do you cook on a budget?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the kind words and mention.

Anonymous said...

Hey, lentils are great and cheap. I have taken many nutrition classes and in any diet if you add lentils and spinach all the vitamins and mineral levels go up. Look for recipes on the Food and Wine website. All their recipes are great.

Rachie-Babe said...

Thanks everyone for you kind words!! I'll definitely check out the Food and Wine website.